Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Happy Veterans' Day!

Happy Veterans Day! A special thank you to all the who have served or are serving! And extra special thank you to all of those in my family! I do not have everyone's pictures, but here are some of them. Starting at the top left and going around: my uncle, Dave (Army), my brother, Matt (USMC), my brother-in-law, Rob (USMC), my future sister-in-law, Holli (USMC, at boot camp now), my grandfathers, Don and Bob (both Army). We are so proud of all of you and can never say THANK YOU enough!



I am so excited to be tagged by Bri (my sister-in-law and fellow blogger) to answer these questions and thought you might enjoy getting to know me. If you don't want to, that's ok too! ;)

Four names that people call me, other than my real name:
  • Kate: My real name is Katie, believe it or not, most people do not. However, all of my family and some friends call me Kate.
  • Mom/Mommy: I have a daughter. I'm Mom most of the time, but when she wants something I'm Mommy. 
  • Bebe: My writer calls me this, I'm not sure why he uses the 2 "e" version, but it's unique to us. 
  • Katydid: My mom often calls me this, though she did it most when I was younger. 
Four jobs I have had: 
  • Dialysis Technician: This is the job I just left. I miss the girls I worked with, we worked 12 hour days for 8 years together! I also miss the amazing patients. They come 3 days a week for 4-5 hours, so we got to know each other VERY well. And you must be VERY, VERY comfortable with blood. It's a constant in dialysis! 
  • CNA: I love caring for people, especially elderly. They have so much knowledge and are a ton of fun! I love that I can carry my medical knowledge to my family. First Aid never ends when you have an accident-prone child. 
  • Babysitter: I had an extended family that I would babysit some or all of the children, anytime! I loved them all so much. Now they are growing up, going to college, and getting married (AHHH!). My daughter is named after one of these beautiful children. They all made a tremendous impact on me and have grown into amazing adults. I'm so proud! 
  • Mom/Wife: I am extremely proud of this job. I love every minute! My husband and I may argue but we have been together 21 years (tomorrow)!! I was 14 and he was 17! I love him more every day. He has proved over and over, that I made an amazing choice at such a young age. That does not happen very often!         My daughter is my miracle child. We tried for 3 years and FINALLY got pregnant! She will be our only child (unless we adopt), because of my chemo treatments, but she is almost perfect and I couldn't ask for a more amazing child. 
Four movies I’ve watched more than once:
  • Sound of Music or any musical
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Quiet Man
  • White Christmas
Can you tell that I like the Classics?!?! 

Four books I’d recommend:


  • Harry Potter books- the movies are wonderful too!
  • Hunger Games books- the movies are wonderful too!
  • Fifty Shades of Grey books- not for the faint of heart, can't wait for the movie!
  • Killing Kennedy, Lincoln, Patton by Bill O'Rielly, Love these books! They are great reads!

Four places I have lived:
  • Darlington, WI: This is where my husband and I grew up and we lived here last year! Love it and miss it terribly!
  • Green Bay, WI: I went there for 2 years of college and loved it!
  • Dubuque, IA: We lived there for 5 years prior to moving to Darlington. We loved it there also!
  • Des Moines, IA:  My writer got a new job and this is our most recent adventure. We are just getting to know the area and while I miss home, I think this city is going to be great!

Four places I have been:
  • Switzerland: I won an essay contest with Lion Club and spent a month in Switzerland. It was a trip of a lifetime. Amazing! 
  • Washington D.C.: my sister and her family lived there and we spent many days exploring the Nation's capital. Love it there! SO much history!
  • San Diego, CA: My brother graduated from USMC boot camp and we went to attend his graduation. It was a beautiful ceremony. The area is gorgeous and we had fun visiting some of the many sites. 
  • Beaufort, SC: my sister and her husband were stationed there. It's hot! But we had a great time visiting and going to Savannah, GA. My sister and I also did a movie site tour, there are a LOT of movies filmed near Beaufort/Savannah. 

Four places I would rather be right now:
  • On a warm beach: the weather just changed today to 10 degrees, and while I love winter, a nice warm beach sounds lovely!
  • With all or any of my family: we are so spread out, and I love when we all get together (immediate or in-law)
  • Snuggled in my bed, watching TV or reading a book: it's definitely my favorite place in the house. Especially when it's cold out!
  • With my little family: I realized when we were living apart for 2 months, that we work best together. I love when we are all together, whether we are going somewhere or spending a day at home. We are all happier together. 
Four things I won’t eat:
  • Seafood: I am trying to branch out with my fish intake, but I really don't like anything but Tuna. 
  • Veggies: I am not a veggie fan. I like the basics, but nothing fancy. NO carrots or tomatoes! 
  • Chocolate: I will eat it if it's the only choice, but I would rather vanilla or sugary candies. 
  • LIVER: UGH! I don't think anyone needs an explanation!

Four of my favorite foods:
  • Potatoes: I love them, any kind and any way!
  • Dry Cereal: I can eat this all day!
  • Soup/Chili: I love a warm bowl of soup all year long! This makes me miss my dad because he makes the best chili!
  • Snacks: This drives my writer crazy! I love crackers, chips, yogurt, cheese, anything that I can grab quick. I would rather that than a meal. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and wants a meal. Sometimes because I snack, I forget about meals! Whoops! :)

Four TV shows that I watch:
  • Dancing with the Stars: this is really the only reality TV I watch. I'm not a huge reality fan. 
  • Modern Family: we love this show and watch it as a family. 
  • Last Man Standing: I love Tim Allen and I love that occasionally Mike Rowe is on playing his brother. It's a great show with good family dynamics!
  • I Love Lucy/ How I Met Your Mother/Friends: I list these 3 together because I watch a few episodes every night before I go to bed. It's the only way I can get my brain to shut off so I can sleep. I think it's because I know the episodes so well. I don't have to focus on them and I'm able to fall asleep. 
Four things I am looking forward to this year:
  • Spending time with family: this seems extra important now that we are living at least 4 hours away from everyone. 
  • Watching daughter make new friends: we are hoping that this comes easy and so far it seems to be. 
  • Learning our new city: we are so excited to start and continue exploring this area. There is so much to see and do. 
  • Getting ready and celebrating Christmas: we all LOVE this time of year and all the traditions that it brings. The tree, decorating, music, movies, gifts, family and friends, everything. 
Four things I’m always saying:
  • "I'm the mom, that's the only reason you need": I have an 8 year old girl! 
  • "I love you!": I try to say this a lot!
  • "I don't know where it is, LOOK!": I have a husband!
  • "Get! No! Sit!": I have 2 dogs, a cat, a daughter, and a husband. I say these things a lot! 
Thank you, Bri! I hope you all enjoy the answers! Ask questions or comment, also post your responses if you would like. Or tell me about your favorite active military or Vet! Have a wonderful, warm Veterans Day! Thank a Vet! They deserve all of our love and respect today and every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors

Followers